Bargain Gear!! :)

Bargain Gear!! :)
Fun with the Fosters

Sunday 12 June 2011

If you are going to do something, do it right!

Man alive I'm sitting here at the fore front of the biggest day of training in our program. It's a Friday afternoon here in London and the weather has gone bonkers! I'm quite excited just thinking about what lies ahead tmrw. We kick off with a 3,5-4,5 km swim, of on the bikes then for a 150-170km ride and then a 15-20 km run at the back end of it. So all in a bone shattering day. Can we do it? Well we better, because we only have one or two goes at it.

So what does a Friday before a day like that entail, well a lot of eating exactly what you want and also drinking a lot of the H2O! The prep is crazy. Gels, bars and water bottles need to be prepared. Bikes oiled and pumped and left in a working state. Wetsuits packed out and protein shakes set out the night before. A bike route needs to be worked out and the transition clothes laid out. Man alive this sport is no joke when it comes to prep!

So with all that information shared we can get in to the blog! I learnt a valuable lesson today. Something I picked up from my dad when I was a snot head little boy. When you commit to something and you decide to do it, then make sure you do it right! I'm still struggling with that thing called balance in my life, but one thing I have learnt is, when you decide to commit to something then do it right!

You don't really realise what Ironman is all about until you finish one. You take a step back from it and you realize that running 25 km after riding 100 km is a bit excessive, but without doing it, the Ironman would not be possible. This is what I mean with doing it right! There are no back doors here or cramming sessions. You need to do it right or leave it.

This way of thinking spills into life for me, I have been putting work admin on the back burner due to training. This past week I had a little wake up call and realized that a attitude like that would get me no where. I decided to sort my admin and sort it the right way! I'm sure I can apply it in most facets of my life.

I think in life we don't have a lot of time. Especially not time to mess around doing all kinds of things in a half hearted kind of way, or with a fat lip! Balance is key and I'm realizing this more and more, but when you choose to do something pull hard or rather give it a miss is how I feel.

Another thing that played on my mind this week after having a mail chat with my Cuzin was to remember to enjoy this whole experience! Man alive that is key, you train, train and train some more to just get it done. You just forget to take five seconds to thank God that you are able to do it. This week end the swim was amazing, the sun was coming up and we could enjoy this whole experience with some friends. The ride produced some of the most beautiful scenery, and we took time to appreciate the creation!

So all in a great week to look forward to, but yet again some lessons learnt to take with me into this journey called life!

Are you taking something away from life each day, if not then just remember this, when you do it then do it right, and while you are doing it, don't forget to enjoy it! Life to short brew!

Much love Ad

No comments:

Post a Comment