Bargain Gear!! :)

Bargain Gear!! :)
Fun with the Fosters

Sunday 17 July 2011

Beautiful France - School trip JULY 4th

Hey folks! So sorry that I have not posted a blog for the last 2 weeks- things have been crazy as the end if the school year is drawing to a close. Reports had to be done, functions had to be attended to and my folks arrived too:) I also had to try and squeeze in some training somewhere in amongst it all. So I do apologise for this being WAY overdue!

So the title for my blog this week is beautiful France. Oh my word how beautiful it is! All you Londoners will be very jealous when I say that I have been in France for 8 days, soaking in the sunshine and better yet being paid for it! Did I mention that I love my job? :) so, me and 3 teachers and 35 AWESOME kids went away on an annual schools activities week in the Dordogne, France. (for those not knowing where on the map that is, I would say somewhere in the middle near Brive, and 2 hours drive from Bordeaux) and all I can say is what a PLACE! Absolutely picturesque- mountains, lake, villages. It was a great week of activities and so much fun was had by all. In the build up towards the trip I was extremely worried about how I was going to do my training when out there. I was going to take my bike but then decided against it at the last minute. It was a chance to focus on my run and swim and boy did I do just that:)

Day 1: We arrived on Sunday morning after a 20 hour coach ride to a Sweltering, blisteringly hot day (the hottest they had this year) it was a stinker! The kids did loads of team building and climbing activities all day. Then idiotically myself and the Kirk (My boss in the PE department and good friend) decided to go running to check out the landscape. We are set in the mountains so I knew it was going to be a tough one. After 1 hour of running up and down hills and breathing like asthmatic over weight pigs we were spent. Absolutely and truly spent! Every last bit of me was emptied. It was so so hot it was unbearable. My heart rate was ne'er below 175bpm! Now that's some serious interval training!

Day 2: We were a little wiser this time and the day started of with a 70 minute canter with my good mate Kirkwood. We went up and down hills, but it was better as it was a lot cooler. What a beaut of a day! After climbing that mountain and seeing that view and the sun rising up through the mountains I knew this was all such a blessing. being paid to be in France and experiencing such peace and surrounded by simple living. It's all I ever want and ever dream of- is simple living with a whole lot of love. I pray everyday that the Lord keeps humbling me so I will never take the simple pleasures in life for granted. That I savour every moment and hold that joy in my heart. Man it's great to feel alive!!!

That morning we left to canoe down the Dordogne river and stay there in a Bivi (makeshift shelter/tent) under the stars with the kids. What a perfect day and an even more perfect night. What an experience- lots of fun was had by all. The river was amazing and the sun she was shining! My tan report: lightly bronzed.

Day 3: Woke up to the river in front of me and the mountains behind it. It was superb. What an experience! After breakfast we packed the canoes and of we headed to round off day 3. Time was flying but we were all having an awesome time making new memories and getting to know the kids. What characters each and every one is. What a pleausre getting to know them all. It's like we are all a little family.
Tan report: sun kissed, slight short tan unfortunately. But sun is still there but was not as harsh.

 Evening was great. Chatted with the locals, made new friends and enjoyed the evening sun.

Day 4, we on Wednesday: this was lake day. So I caught I glimpse of a Lake on the way into France but never realised it was that lake we were going to. Now let me tell you all, I have seen many a lake before- but THIS one, oh my, but THIS one is was just hands down the winner. It was absolutely beautiful. A MASSIVE man made lake, fresh water. It was huge. Not even kidding.  So today was my swim and run day. Apparently you can run aroun the lake and it's about 8km. I thought it was more along the lines of 7km per lap. So as was planned, Kirky and I slipped out wetsuits on and gave the lake a good go. It was scary at first but I soon got into it and loved every second. I swam right in the middle and all around. It was awesome. After 1 hour and 10 minutes I jumped out and was then bombarded with questions from the kids. They couldn't believe it and thought I was mad. I just laughed:) we (the kirk, flemmers and myself) then put on our running shoes and proceeded to do a some laps. I wasn't sure how many I was going to do but I wanted to do 3. So after lap 1 Kirky decided  to call it a day, then it was down to flemmers and myself and when stopping for a quick rehydrate after lap 1 I decided to drag a 6th former with me out from the lake. He was game and so then proceeded with the spontaneity and ran with us around the lake for lap 2 ( with his buoyancy aid on!) what a champ. After lap 2, flemmers was down and I was on my own. The rest was at lunch and the last lap was my victory lap. I gave it a good go even though my body was sore. It was great having finished. Afterwards the kids couldn't believe it and the questions started coming again. Something triggered though because when we got back to the village everyone went for a run! Ha ha haa;)
After lunch I tried my turn at stand up paddle board- man it was INCREDIBLE!!
Tan report: cheeky Burn through the clouds. Very sun kissed.

Day 5: we were also at the lake and I was preparing for a good one today. Weather report: hot. Health report: sore throat but pushing through. Body report: legs feeling super. Hornet juice is amazing! I was ready to absolutely cane this session! Started off with a super swim, very comfortable 70 minute swim. Then it was the run. I had my sights set on 4 laps today. That's just short of 30km. I had to do it! So the first 2 was with the lads and it was a steady but good pace. This time hotter so it made it slightly harder. I knew the route now so I knew what was coming... My mates then ditched me and I dis another 2 laps on my own. The last lap was a tough one, but mentally I am tougher now. I needed that. I felt so good after I finished and I couldn't believe I was injury and pain free. Absolutely epic! I thank the Lord for my body and what it is capable of! May I use this thing you gave me and use it well!

What a day- just rested for the rest of it and caught a great tan. Report update: super bronzed and very happy:) but missing my hubby. Wish he was there- he would have loved it!

That night: teachers quiz night. Our school one! Man we are brainy!! What a night:)

Day 6: excursion day.It was fantastic. The food, the sights- I have fallen in love with France!



Ending off: I miss my husband and it is going to be great getting home. It was an amazing trip and some good training was done! 

No comments:

Post a Comment