Bargain Gear!! :)

Bargain Gear!! :)
Fun with the Fosters

Sunday 15 May 2011

Aftermath









This time last week we had just come back from the Marshman in Kent. What an amazing experience it was. I did the marshman in 5 hours 27 minutes and I came 2nd in my age group and 9th overall out of all the women- quite a cloud to be on especially as it was my very first triathlon. Looking around quite quietly chuffed, then reality dawned as I took a cheeky peak on my calendar at school and realized the Marshman is done and Ironman UK and all its fullness is only 77 days away. So what’s the next step?

This week has been a testing one for me with regards to training. The aftermath of the Marshman left me with the stiffest legs EVER for 3 days straight. Going up and down stairs was a sure battle! Training was the last thing on my mind, riding the Marsh wave made me feel warm and tingly inside. I did it, I smashed it! But oh wait, lets for a second go back and assess just what happened: Flat course, 1X 70m steep hill, 0 X0m hill on the run and mild south easterly- perfect conditions for a rookie to smash the course.

“E yo mina uchampion” (I am a champion!) BUT, I then quickly descended from my mountain top or ‘Marsh cloud if you will’ back to reality. You see, what I didn’t realize was the Marshman wasn’t IT. It was only base camp and Everest was looming large! Eish.

So what now? Sitting at my desk reviewing, reflecting on what the game plan is. Getting home on Monday night my husband informed me of what this plan is. We are now entering into the ‘Ironman Specific Phase’ and the worst is yet to come. This is a HARD 4 week phase and requires some serious hours in the saddle, on the tar, and in the lake.

Fast forwarding to Saturday morning 5:10am the honeymoon is finally over! And as the alarm goes on a Saturday morning, I wake up to a reality check that although the Marshman was great there is still so much to be done. So taking the step in the right direction, we headed off with my best friend for an early morning dip in Thorpe Lakes. We proceeded to conquer a milestone and he swam 4.5km and I did 3.8- whooo hooo! I then jumped on the bike, while my husband headed to work. Clocking in 100km on my own was a feat. I was famished when I got off and ate like a machine (that’s why I love this sport!!)

Sunday night, a week later, and I am ready to take it to the next level. The Marshman was an amazing race and great confidence builder, but with that firmly under the belt I am looking ahead to what is waiting for me. I look forward to seeing just how fit I can get and how far I can actually go whilst enjoying the ride. Life is good. J

Have a super week everybody. Take it to the next level!
Much love
Lou xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment