Bargain Gear!! :)

Bargain Gear!! :)
Fun with the Fosters

Sunday 8 May 2011

Marshman 2011: Half Ironman 1.9km swim, 90k bike, 21k run.

What an amazing weekend away! It felt like we have been away for 3 days, but we only went away for 24 hours. We made it count! I want to apologise in advance for this blog. I am absolutely shattered and I can’t really think straight. I think I may put in a post week blog on this event as I am sure more will come back to me when I ‘reflect’, so will do my best.

So our dear Kiwi friend Kirsty joined us for the night and she came to support and help us along the way. She was an absolute gem and she has the kindest most generous heart in the world. She is such beautiful person inside and out and was a pleasure having her come with us to Kent. The Marshman was held in the small town of Lydd. Before arriving we stopped outside an ancient church that has been there since the 1200’s! 400 years before South Africa was even founded! E yo! But Inside was just incredible. So so old you won’t believe. It was very special. We then arrived and we set up camp. Last year the wind was PUMPING A GALE through that place and so putting up tent this year was somewhat easier in sunnier and less hurricane wind conditions. Also 3 people are better than 2J It was done in a jiffy. We then set off to our favourite, neighboring Ancient town of RYE. This town is literally- ancient founded 1000 AD. The houses have doors that are half the size of the doors today. The roads are cobbled and the shops have been standing there since 1920 AD. This shop in particular is called ‘Simon the Pieman!’ ha ha! The whole town is just a treat to walk through- we did just that in about 20 minutes J We then went to the same Italian restaurant we went to the year before. We had a delicious meal then headed back to camp. Got the last few bits and pieces ready and did bike checks etc.

Unfortunately the nerves got the better of me and I tossed and turned that night. With 4 hours sleep we were up and ready to make breakfast- some yummy peanut butter and syrup sammies! My mom’s favouriteJ That’s all she ate when she had me in her belly, and that’s why I love them today! So great fuel food, with a banana and AD had some good ol Crunchy nut. We then went to register and put our things in the Transition area by the swim lake. It was just a perfect morning with little wind! The forecast the day before said rain with 30k/h winds. But nothing prayer can’t handle- we woke up to clear skies and perfect racing conditions. Now that is what I am talking about!!!

The Race
Now the first group went off (with my hubs in it) at 7am. By this point I was pretty nervous but I was ready. So off into the water we went for a swimming start. The hooter went and we were off. The first 600m I had to fight for my spot and kicked and pulled my way through. The swim is never flattering – it’s every man for himself! I turned around the last buoy with 600m to go and had a sneak peak at my time. I was on track. I pulled hard the home stretch and stammering out the water with good ol Kirst cheering me on was a treat. A real booster! Was glad the swim was done. Now to decide what to put on for the bike. I thought it was going to be chilly but it was mild. So after a good 5 minutes of decision making- I made the right decisions, but forgot to put on my shades! Oops! But it was fine. The bike course was super flat and fast. This was great practice for the areo position. After 60km in the aero, my lower back started to ache, but I changed my mindset and pushed even harder. It was a perfect day, wind, but not too much and the sun was belting- yes please! With 82km on the clock we pulled right into an army barracks stretch and this is near the base. I thought we still had 8km to go but then we pulled into the country lane towards Transition- I was too stoked! My speedometer has not been working too well recently so when we turned for the home stretch I was elated. Pushing hard on the pedals and finishing strong under 3 hours- well chuffed!

Off the bike I could hear my good friend Kirst the birst cheering me on. What a legend. Quick change, picked up my glasses and off we went. I have been battling with injury in my foot and on the side of my knee. I was just praying it would hold. I had strapping on and that seemed to be holding-just. 4km in I could feel my knee, but nothing good old myprodol can sort out! Popped one of those and said a prayer and it was gone. I got into a great stride and experienced runners high. I pushed hard thinking I can seriously do this! I can do this!! In a good time too! I am not just doing an event- I am actually racing itJ It was such an amazing feeling to be able to push your body to places you haven’t been before. When we turned around by the half way point the wind was in my face and I could start to feel the good ol leggies. So popped a gel and off I went. Slowed the pace down a little until I reached the 6km to go mark then decided to pick it up as best I could. Being out there in the country lanes and running besides fields of sheep and little lambs and running rivers in the hot sun was just great. That is why I do this! I then started to calculate my time and thought I could maybe get a good time so decided to push and hit my target. Nearing home and the last water station I asked them how much longer and she said 2km. I thought: Damn it I am not going to hit my targetL Then further down the road I see some more marshalls and when I pass them the one yells 500m left! I thought REALLY? WOW that’s Awesome I thought it was 2km! Was the best news all day and started to sprint my way to the finish to where my amazing husband was waiting for me and my special friend! Had a sprint finish and loved crossing that line into my hubbys arms. What a feeling. I reached my target (after recalculating) and smashed what I thought I would do it in originally. For me this is my first triathlon and I loved it. Loved the atmosphere and the experience. I thank my God that we were safe and that we finished and that He was with me all the way. He gave me strength I never knew I had!

Kirsty was a sweetheart and it inspired her to get back on the bike and to compete again. So she will be doing this next year J My hubby did well and he smashed it.  I am so proud of him!
I am now sitting on the couch and the myprodols have worn off- E yo! I will leave it thereJ All in all it was just an awesome weekend and I am so glad that I am privileged enough to be able to compete in things like this. It really is something special. My first triathlon and not the last. For the first time I was passing people and not people passing me! J

Have an amazing week everyone- you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you!
“What the mind believes the body achieves..:) “ – Kirst the birst and Lou’s saying.
Love you all
Lou xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment