Bargain Gear!! :)

Bargain Gear!! :)
Fun with the Fosters

Monday 25 April 2011

Why do we limit ourselves?

People ask me why I have chosen to do the Ironman this year. They may have preconceived ideas on why I am doing it but all I can say is that it’s not for anyone else but for me. We as humans set goals in life to achieve and to better ourselves be it in business, financial or sports- not for recognition or approval but for self actualisation, realising that we can do anything. We can do anything we want to do and put our minds to. We can be limitless if we want (without the pill that is;)  We have been given this one body and it’s up to you how you use it. It’s like my husband says, when he dies one day he can say that he has enjoyed this body he has been given.

Something I am realising more and more every day. I have just come off the back of a 3 week holiday. I cannot tell you where that holiday went. It feels like it has only been a week. AD and I were sitting in Spur now and we said to each other we can’t believe that it is nearly May. We are coming up to the half way point in the year- already!! It is absolutely bizarre. I have learnt throughout this holiday that every day is so important. We only have one life and I choose to live it. I am not bothered by what people think or say about me and my training anymore. I love what I am doing and I love the challenges I put ahead of me and I love conquering them. I am finding out where my weaknesses lie, within myself and trying to overcome them is a massive task. It is a daily struggle. Trying to change old mindsets to have the victory is key- be it so small such as getting into cold river to swim laps. Now that is what I call perseverance. I think I should rename myself. Louisa Perseverance Foster- Because my friends, as my life manual says: we should rejoice when we have tribulations as this brings perseverance, perseverance produces character, and character produces hope.

This last weekend has been fantastic. We have had a great weekend away in the Country again for Easter. On Friday morning we left at sparrows fart, car packed to the max and we headed out to the Country. I seconded AD as he cycled just over 100km’s so he could get some training doneJ  It was a pleasure to be there for my machine!! He is doing so well and am so proud of him! He is such an inspiration to me in all ways. I learn from him daily. We went for a super cycle on Saturday, really saw some amazing views and cycled some good hills. Found some good new routes which was great! What was a find and highlight of the weekend was when my sister in law found a wild swimming river right near my in-laws house. This place is amazing. I mean what a find! Definitely going to be our local summer spot. Got some good river swim training in- what a pleasure. It is weird swimming in a river and not a lake. First time for everythingJ All in all it was a great weekend. It was such a blessing having this time with my husband. I can’t get enough of him.

So, getting back to the last 3 weeks of holiday. For me it has been good. What has been a real achievement for me is that this time last year I was flat on my back after having knee surgery. Now (just about injury free) I am cycling and running and preparing for one of the biggest events of my life! I have picked up a small knee injury while running the last 2 weeks. I am not sure what it is but am seeing the physio tomorrow. I haven’t run for a week and am starting to feel the itchy feet. We are 2 weeks away from the half Ironman in Kent. I am not going for time, I want to enjoy this one and to get a feel for what it feels like to do a triathlon- ha ha ha! No seriously :) Think I am going to have a big shock:) But bring it on! (Please pray the knee holds out)

The first half of this blog was when I was lying in bed last night and it was just before I nodded off. I was thinking about limiting oneself, myself and I thought to myself enough is enough. I am tired of always limiting myself in my head and making excuses about not training here and not training there. Missing sessions is not an option anymore. It is now 3 months to go and this is where the hard part starts. So family and friends I say farewell and I pray you will be there for me at that finish line waiting there to share in my joy and pain and this new found feeling of being an overcomer. That is what I crave and that is what I will get. I chose to live for the here and now, not wait for December holidays in South Africa. It is hard at times, but we can all dig deep to over come whatever it is that is holding us back. We just need to face it head on and tackle that mother!!

Its back to school for me- but yay it is a short week! Whoop whoop! This week is going to be good. Back to routine and back to preparation. As the saying goes: Preparation is key!





Take care and God Bless
Lou xx

No comments:

Post a Comment