Bargain Gear!! :)

Bargain Gear!! :)
Fun with the Fosters

Monday 25 April 2011

Weekend Express!

Long week end all over the world and for a good reason as well. Most of you following our journey to Ironman will know Lou and I love God first. Putting yourself through all this training mentally as well as physically makes us realise that we draw all our strength from Him. This week end thus carried great significance to us.

But before I start preaching( one day Ad one day) let me start Blogging! I started off my Friday morning at 06:00 am, flying out of South fields down to Kingston at 60-65km/h. How did I do this, well with my new wheels of speed, man alive these puppies don't know how to sit still! My maiden voyage and I was loving it. I set out to Bath in the hope that I would finally go all the way. I have done this ride once before and also came un done at 150km. So today was going to be it the day I made the dream a reality. But due to another much more important interest I ended 110 km down the road. Crisp air, not a person in sight, riding down the Thames out toward Basingstoke, made me realise once again just how Blessed I was being able to do this. May I never take my health and body for granted, but may I always strive to be more. Being healthy and alive is such a privilege, one never to be taken likely.

My wife was my second on the day, the person that follows you with the car and makes sure you are ok. After about 80km I pulled of the road for a egg Mc muffin ( yes I said it ) and some coffee with my best friend. The sun was blazing on us and it was just a great day to be alive. I sat there wishing I could be in the car with her. Not because I couldn't get to Bath by bike, but because I wanted to spend time with her rather than feed my own need.

I was on the right track I believe. This Ironman training becomes so self indulgent and so all encompassing that you lose perspective so much of the time.
So after a few more Km down the road I decided spending time with my wife means more, I packed the bike in and off we went onwards to my family.


Now every time we come down here I'm obsessed with seeing how much training I can get from a week end away. But all in all, one day I won't remember that bike ride in the country side, but I will remember that afternoon I helped my sister in the garden and spent time playing with my nephew. Or the chats I had with my parents in the sun rather than the 25km run. Another lesson learned I think is to always know what is important and never lose sight of it.

Sessions will come and sessions will go. I have realised. I will never be a pro Ironman, but I do know I love doing it and hopefully I'll do many more, but one thing I need to remind myself of. Is that there are more important things in this life and I can't ever lose perspective of that either.

I'm only a personal trainer that sometimes has too much time on his hands and has decided to train for a Ironman. Maybe you reading this are also so engrossed in something that you deem so important. I just want to tell you as I sit here on my couch tonight, take time to be the least and instead of sacrificing people that love you and are important to you, sacrifice that thing that is keeping you from memories that will last you for ever. That's more or less what this week end was about spiritually. A man sacrificing Himself for us all.

I hope you have a amazing week.

Keep going 

much love AD

No comments:

Post a Comment