Bargain Gear!! :)

Bargain Gear!! :)
Fun with the Fosters

Sunday 17 April 2011

Spring in my step, cycling in the sun :)

We have just got back from our weekend away. What a fantastic weekend it was! We haven't been out to the Country for awhile so it was great to get out of London for a bit! It is really good for our souls- breathe some fresh air and eat some homemade food and cycle car free roads in forests- oh how amazing:)

This week has been a good week of training. I felt strong and put in some good sessions. On Wednesday AD and I went to do a Surrey ride where the hills are absolutely devastating. It was one of the toughest rides to date. One I can openly say that I didn't enjoy, but had to be done. Towards the end AD missed the turn to go towards leith hill (short for lethal hill). This hill is incredibly steep and very long...I thought in my mind - yes please we missed the hill but then if I knew what was coming I would rather have gone up it... There is a hill that I think is worse than leith hill that we always go down. It is ridiculous and cars go up there in 1st. It was 5pm peak traffic and we had been lost for 30 mins prior and now we were climbing this horrid hill to get back to our car. It was the only way and it was unbelievably scary. Cars whizzing passed and you trying to cycle in a straight line (but on a hill that steep it takes GROOT concentration!) we were literally riding for our lives! No ways you can get off and walk, that was not an option you will never get back on! And this hill was a monster! After near tears we were home dry, Ai I was happy. Never again... Especially during peak traffic!
But then again, once again I had the victory. :)

Weekend away:
On Friday AD and I had a super early start, leaving at 5am all packed to the max we made our way down to AD's work. He had a 5:30am client so I just 'snoozed' in the car! Afterwards, we then made our way down to Hyde Park Serpentine- oh how beautiful it was that time of the morning. I am petrified of cold water(I get that from my mom) and so every time before we about to get in a have a little 'freak attack'. Ai man, cold water is not good... It was a great swim, at one point a swan flew right over me and landed right in front of me. It was amazing. To be out there in the open cold water in Gods creation, in the middle of London Nogals, when I'm old and grey sitting on our ‘stoep’ we can reminisce of the crazy but amazing times we had and the memories we made. After the swim we then went to a place called 'Kitchen and Pantry' in Nottinghill for some breakfast. It was great sitting there, cold to the bone, but knowing we leaving for the country in an hour (after AD's last client). The rest of Friday we spent in Bath with AD's dad. He just had a knee replacement so we took him out for lunch and to get out a bit. We also went to his (and mine) favourite cake shop 'Patisserie Valerie' where they sell the most UNREAL cakes and pastries in the world! So we had to indulge on that too. That's why I love this sport- pre-race you can eat like a machine. Though this weekend I think we over indulged a little too much;)

Race day:
Saturday was an early start and race day in the new forest. It turned out to be a beaut of a day and what a fantastic route. Why it was so super was the fact that there were few cars, cyclists of all ages and abilities and of course the amazing scenery. AD and I started off in the first group- as soon as we pulled away, one guy sprinted ahead like it was no body's business and left the pack. My hubby was not having that so he caught him and they cycled the race together, leaving him in his dust the last 40km. I am so proud of him- he is a machine! He came 1st! So proud of him..
So, there I was left with 3 other guys. I stuck with them until the hills came. It was a speedy start so trying to keep up with them took my heart rate quickly to 185 plus. Eish wena, I thought I must journey this alone. So I did, but kept a good speed. Then around 30km in a pack comes by, I thought YES PLEASE I will jump on that train thank you. Aaaahhhh relief! So stuck with them for a couple of km's.

The whole ride was just super and I could go through every detail but I don't want to bore you. So, to make a short story shorter: it was a tough start, had to take a gel 20km in of a 140km race (whaa haaa), kept up with some big boys which was great, then was a loner for quite a bit of the way- but averaging between 27/30km per hour which I was happy with. I then found a group that I stuck with and worked with for the rest of the race. It was great, legs were dead at 75km's, tjommie was nie Leka nie, goenfamf was taking punches, climbed a hill that was 25% gradient my front wheel was lifting up off the road- freaking out but it was all gooooood!! Was happy to be finished and to see my beautiful husband waiting for me. Thank the Lord we both were safe and sound and injury free! I love that feeling when you finish something like that: you feel so alive and so happy that you were the victor!

The rest of the weekend brought lots of eating, sleeping, braaing, spending time with family and just chilling out. It was a great weekend all round.

Highs:
- country and family
- food
- doing a good time in the race
- being married to the best man in the world- it seriously just keeps on getting better!

Lows:
- that hideous hill.
- that cold water.
Hope you all have an amazing week ahead. To my special friend Jo Blond- about to give birth either today or tomorrow, we love you and we are thinking of you- you are in our prayers! Thank you for all your support, you have been amazing and are our biggest fans!

Love you all lots, have a blessed week- go tackle those hills, see what you made of :)
Lou xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment